San Bernardino, CA – A California woman has been convicted of killing her ex-boyfriend and concealing his body in what investigators described as a hidden “makeshift tomb” beneath her backyard, ending a years-long mystery surrounding his disappearance.
A jury has found 46-year-old Trista Ann Spicer guilty of second-degree murder with a deadly-weapon enhancement for the killing of 42-year-old Eric Mercado, whose body was discovered in 2022—eight years after he was first reported missing.
According to prosecutors, Spicer struck Mercado in the head with a frying pan, then slit his throat, and later hid his body inside a sliced air mattress before burying him under a concealed storage space on her San Bernardino property.
Discovery of the Hidden “Tomb”
The case broke open in August 2022 when investigators received a tip suggesting human remains were hidden on Spicer’s property. Detectives from the San Bernardino Police Department said the tip came from Waylan Gentry, Spicer’s boyfriend at the time.
He claimed Spicer asked him to help her “get rid of” her ex-boyfriend because she planned to relocate and needed to move the body first. After consulting his mother, Gentry contacted the police.
When officers searched the home, they uncovered a storage compartment measuring 8 by 6 by 3 feet, described by investigators as a makeshift tomb.
Inside it, they found Mercado’s remains tightly wrapped in the remains of an air mattress.
Details From the Autopsy and Crime Scene
The autopsy revealed extreme blunt-force trauma. The medical examiner told detectives that Mercado’s nose and eye socket were “obliterated,” noting that the injuries would have caused death within seconds.
Police noted that Mercado had been officially missing since 2014, and his family had not seen or heard from him since that year.
Spicer’s Claim of Self-Defense
During the trial, Spicer testified that her relationship with Mercado had been abusive from early on. She alleged that shortly after they met in 2014, he convinced her to resume using methamphetamine after years of sobriety.
She described escalating violence, claiming she feared reporting him to authorities. She told the court that the night of the killing began with an argument over dinner.
According to her testimony, Mercado became enraged, threw the meal at her, and stabbed her in the neck while ordering her to sit unclothed on the couch. She said the attack continued as he demanded coffee from the kitchen.
Spicer claimed she grabbed a frying pan out of fear and struck Mercado with both hands before slashing his throat.
Prosecutors Reject Abuse Defense
Jurors were not convinced by Spicer’s account. Prosecutors argued that regardless of her claims, burying Mercado in a concealed tomb and keeping the secret for eight years demonstrated intent and consciousness of guilt.
They also pointed to testimony from Gentry, who said Spicer admitted the body was under the stairs and indicated she needed to “take care of something” before moving out of state.
Timeline of Key Events
- 2014: Mercado last seen; family reports him missing
- 2014 (Oct.): Spicer claims the killing occurred
- 2022: Tipster alerts police; investigators locate remains
- 2025: Jury convicts Spicer of murder
- 2026 (Jan. 20): Sentencing scheduled
Community Impact and Domestic Violence Awareness
Cases involving alleged domestic violence, substance abuse, and long-hidden crimes often spark difficult conversations about reporting abuse, personal safety, and access to support systems.
Advocates remind the public that individuals facing domestic violence can seek help through confidential hotlines, shelters, and community outreach programmes. Early intervention, they say, can prevent tragedies like this from occurring.
What Happens Next?
Spicer is set to be sentenced on January 20, 2026. She faces 16 years to life in a California state correctional facility.
What do you think of this? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
