Wisconsin Mother Charged After 3-Year-Old Son Dies From Severe Abdominal Trauma

Wisconsin Mother Charged After 3-Year-Old Son Dies From Severe Abdominal Trauma

Milwaukee, WI – Authorities have arrested a 34-year-old mother after her 3-year-old son, Da’Quarius Berry, was found unresponsive in their home and later pronounced dead at a hospital. The case has drawn widespread attention as investigators allege the child suffered injuries consistent with non-accidental trauma, raising serious concerns about the circumstances leading up to his death.

According to details outlined in a probable cause affidavit referenced by Law&Crime, officers were dispatched on the morning of Nov. 6 after Zaquitta Joiner-Murphy called 911, reporting that her toddler was not breathing. What began as a call for medical assistance quickly turned into a criminal investigation after doctors discovered extensive internal injuries.

Police Respond After Mother Reports Child Unresponsive

Joiner-Murphy told investigators she returned home shortly before 7 a.m. after taking her other children to the school bus stop. She claimed she found her 3-year-old “lying on his back and foaming from his mouth.”

However, medical staff at Children’s Wisconsin reported a large abdominal hemorrhage, noting in their assessment that the trauma reflected “complete and utter disregard for human life.” Efforts to revive the child continued for nearly an hour, but he was pronounced dead at 8:41 a.m.

Conflicting Statements Raise More Questions

In her initial statement, Joiner-Murphy insisted that her son had been acting normally earlier that morning. She claimed she left the child in the care of her boyfriend while taking the other children to the bus stop.

Investigators later interviewed a family acquaintance known as “Peaches,” whom Joiner-Murphy said frequently checked on the children. But police say Peaches was out of town, a fact confirmed through home surveillance footage from her grandmother’s residence. This contradiction prompted further questioning.

Overnight Absence Becomes Central to Investigation

During a follow-up interview, police say Joiner-Murphy admitted leaving her five children home alone overnight from midnight until nearly sunrise. She told investigators she and her boyfriend left the residence twice – first to get food, and later so she could tend bar at a location called “Kickbacks.” She said they returned around 5:30 a.m., just before taking the older children to the bus.

Authorities noted that this timeline placed both Joiner-Murphy and her boyfriend as the only adults with access to Da’Quarius during the period in which the fatal injuries were likely inflicted.

Key details highlighted in the affidavit include:

  • The children were left alone from midnight to 5:45 a.m.
  • The boyfriend was reportedly asleep when Joiner-Murphy left again to take the children to the bus
  • The victim was found unresponsive shortly afterward

Medical Findings Suggest Non-Accidental Trauma

Doctors documented severe internal injuries, including a significant abdominal hemorrhage. According to the affidavit, the nature of these injuries strongly pointed to intentional harm.

“The injuries sustained by [Da’Quarius] show that the actor acted with complete and utter disregard for human life,”
the medical team reported in statements summarized within the affidavit.

Investigators stated that both Joiner-Murphy and her boyfriend remain the only two individuals who had the opportunity to cause the fatal injuries during the relevant window of time.

Charges Filed and Court Hearing Scheduled

Joiner-Murphy has been charged with child neglect resulting in death, a serious felony under Wisconsin law. She is currently held in Milwaukee County Jail on a $50,000 cash-only bond. A preliminary court hearing is scheduled for Nov. 21.

Police confirmed the investigation remains active, with detectives working to determine exactly how the child sustained such severe trauma.

Community Reaction and Support Efforts

The tragedy has sparked strong reactions across Milwaukee, with many expressing sympathy for the remaining children and frustration over the alleged lack of supervision. A GoFundMe page has been created to assist with Da’Quarius’ funeral and memorial services.

Share your experiences in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *