Teen Accused of Killing Father and Great-Uncle Had Been “Uncharacteristically Helpful” Before Deadly Shooting, Family Says

Teen Accused of Killing Father and Great-Uncle Had Been “Uncharacteristically Helpful” Before Deadly Shooting, Family Says

Quincy, IN – A 15-year-old Indiana boy accused of killing his father and great-uncle had reportedly been calm, cooperative, and unusually helpful around the house just hours before the deadly shooting, according to details emerging from newly released court documents.

Authorities identified the teen as Jeremiah Nicholas Dill, who will be charged as an adult in the double homicide of 41-year-old Grantham Chandler and 61-year-old Jeffrey Fauber. Both men were found fatally shot in the driveway of a Quincy residence on August 9, triggering a multi-agency investigation that quickly took an unexpected turn when the suspect turned himself in at the Morgan County Jail.

Teen Turned Himself In After the Shooting

According to a report from WTHR, law enforcement officers were already responding to a 911 call from a woman at the Quincy home when dispatchers were notified that Dill had arrived at a nearby jail claiming responsibility. Jail staff reported that the teen made several spontaneous statements, including “I killed my father”, “I killed my family,” and “I’m fighting demons.”

Police said Dill was immediately detained and continued speaking with officers, at one point telling them that the weapons used in the shooting were inside the Ford Escape he had reportedly taken when he fled the home. Investigators then recovered an AR-15 rifle and a handgun from the vehicle.

Family Previously Secured Guns Following Threats

Court documents reveal that Dill had been involved in a series of escalating behavioral and mental health concerns earlier in the year. Police were told that Dill had made threatening statements about killing his father and “knew where all the guns were in the house.” He was admitted to inpatient mental health treatment but was released just two days before the shooting.

Family members stated that after his release, they attempted to secure every firearm in the home. Despite these precautions, Dill still managed to access multiple weapons on the day of the incident.

A woman at the residence told investigators that Dill appeared “chill” and “uncharacteristically helpful” that morning, though he also made remarks suggesting he wanted to “kill the family.” Police say the family had been aware of his prior threats but believed they had taken adequate steps to protect themselves.

Timeline of the Deadly Incident

Authorities believe the shootings occurred shortly before the 911 call was placed. The caller reported that Dill had shot both men in the driveway before taking the family vehicle and several firearms.

Sharpening their timeline, investigators learned:

  • Dill drove the Ford Escape to Morgan County Jail immediately afterward.
  • He openly admitted to the killings upon arrival.
  • The weapons believed to be used were stored in the vehicle, consistent with his statements.

His cooperation at the jail contrasted sharply with the violence of the incident, adding another layer of complexity to the case.

Charges and Upcoming Court Proceedings

Prosecutors confirmed that Dill will face two counts of murder as an adult due to the severity of the allegations and the circumstances surrounding the case. Despite the adult charges, Dill is being held in juvenile custody at this stage.

His next court appearance is scheduled for December 11.

Mental Health Questions at the Center of the Case

The case highlights growing concerns over the intersection of adolescent mental health, access to firearms, and family safety. Dill’s recent release from treatment, combined with his past threats, is likely to become a focal point during the legal process.

Investigators have not yet released additional details about the motive, nor have they confirmed whether the family had sought further support or legal interventions following his earlier threats.

Community Impact and Continuing Investigation

The small community of Quincy has been shaken by the tragedy, prompting discussions around youth mental health support and resources for families dealing with behavioral crises. Authorities say the investigation remains active as they gather more information from relatives, mental health professionals, and digital evidence.

Law enforcement officials have not released further details but expect more information to surface as the case proceeds in court.

Share your experiences in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *