Pontiac, Michigan – Two Michigan parents have been arrested after authorities uncovered what prosecutors are calling one of the most disturbing child abuse cases seen in recent years. Investigators allege the couple nearly starved two young boys to death, kept them confined to their room, and even sewed their pockets shut to prevent them from bringing home food from school.
Incident Overview
According to the Oakland County Prosecutor’s Office, the case began when a 9-year-old boy was rushed to Trinity Hospital in Pontiac after suffering cardiac arrest due to severe malnutrition. Weighing only 33 pounds, doctors discovered he was in liver failure and showed additional injuries that were described as consistent with abuse. His condition was so critical that he had no pulse upon arrival and had to be airlifted to another medical facility for specialized care.
His 11-year-old brother, also severely malnourished at just 43 pounds, was brought to the hospital around the same time. Both children showed signs of prolonged neglect and starvation.
Charges Filed Against the Parents
Authorities arrested Arturo Bazan-Perez, the boys’ biological father, and Dulce Crystal Bazan Castillo, their stepmother. Both have been charged with:
- Two counts of first-degree child abuse
- Two counts of torture
These charges are extremely serious, each carrying a penalty of up to life imprisonment in a Michigan state correctional facility.
A news release from prosecutors noted that the boys reportedly told investigators they received less food than the couple’s two younger biological children — a 1-year-old boy and a 4-year-old girl — who appeared healthy and were also living in the home.
Timeline of Events
Investigators learned that the victims had been withdrawn from school in September, with the parents claiming they were moving. School officials, however, had already observed troubling signs. Staff members reportedly witnessed the children digging through trash cans for food, prompting them to send the boys home with additional snacks — a decision that allegedly triggered violent retaliation from their parents.
Authorities say the parents sewed the children’s pockets shut after discovering the boys were trying to take food home. When they later attempted to hide food in their backpacks, the parents allegedly confiscated the bags entirely.
Inside the home, conditions were described as prison-like. The boys’ bedroom windows were reportedly screwed shut so they could not open them. The glass was painted over, preventing the children from seeing outside.
Statements From Officials
Oakland County Sheriff Michael Bouchard expressed deep frustration, stating that new legislation he previously proposed could have protected the victims sooner.
“The child abuse cases we are seeing right now are nothing short of heartbreaking and enraging,” Bouchard said. “The suffering these children endured might have been stopped sooner had the legislation I called for been enacted. No child should ever fall through the cracks like this.”
Oakland County Prosecutor Karen D. McDonald also issued a strong response after filing charges.
“It’s unconscionable that anyone, let alone parents, would willfully starve children,” McDonald stated. “The allegations in this case are horrifying. My thoughts right now are with these children and the caregivers working to help them recover from what appears to be a nightmare situation.”
Key Facts (Bold)
- Suspects: Arturo Bazan-Perez & Dulce Crystal Bazan Castillo
- Charges: First-degree child abuse (2 counts), torture (2 counts)
- Victims’ Ages: 9 and 11
- Victims’ Weights: 33 lbs and 43 lbs
- Location: Pontiac, Michigan
- Court Date: December 4 (Probable Cause Hearing)
Additional Context
Experts emphasize that child abuse cases often escalate when children are withdrawn from school, cutting off their only line of visibility to mandated reporters. Instances like this highlight why consistent monitoring and verification of homeschooling or school transfers are critical.
Officials note that malnutrition of this severity can cause lasting developmental and physical harm. Caregivers are now working to stabilize the boys, who are reported to be in stable condition as of Tuesday.
Child Safety Awareness
Parents, guardians, and community members are encouraged to watch for warning signs in children, such as sudden weight loss, persistent hunger, behavioral changes, or being frequently absent from school. Reporting concerns early can prevent cases from escalating to life-threatening situations.
Child welfare advocates also stress the importance of communities remaining vigilant — especially when multiple children are involved, as siblings may receive unequal treatment.
Conclusion
As the investigation continues, both defendants are due in court on December 4 for a probable cause hearing. Prosecutors say they intend to pursue the case aggressively to ensure full accountability.
Have you ever witnessed or reported a case of child neglect or abuse in your community? Share your experiences in the comments below.
