Shelby Township, MI – A man who allegedly believed he had purchased a faulty vehicle is accused of fatally shooting a car dealership owner and a customer before robbing the business and fleeing the scene. Authorities say 46-year-old Terrance Sandles, a Texas fugitive living in Michigan, is now facing multiple felony charges, including first-degree murder.
The Incident: Argument Over Hummer Purchase Turns Deadly
According to the Shelby Township Police Department, the violence unfolded on November 7 at Star Auto, a used car dealership in Macomb County. Sandles reportedly confronted the dealership owner, 40-year-old Marvan Batoo, over a $3,000 purchase of a 2007 GMC Hummer.
Police Chief Robert Shelide said the confrontation was caught on surveillance footage.
“He thought it was a lemon,” Shelide explained during a press conference.
As Batoo and Sandles argued, 48-year-old customer Ghaith Baban, who was meeting with the owner at the time, was also present. Investigators say Sandles pulled out a firearm and shot both men at point-blank range, killing them instantly.
Their bodies were later found by another employee returning from a delivery.
Investigation and Evidence Collected
Authorities said Sandles robbed the dealership moments after the killings, taking an undisclosed amount of cash before fleeing in a getaway car. The vehicle became a critical clue: license plate reader cameras in the neighborhood captured the plate number, helping investigators identify the registered owner and ultimately link the vehicle to Sandles.
Detectives then used cellphone data to track the suspect to a hotel in Romulus, Michigan, where he was arrested on November 8.
Inside the hotel room, officers found:
- Two firearms, including the suspected murder weapon
- Stolen cash from the dealership
- A large quantity of cocaine, according to prosecutors
Macomb County Prosecutor Peter Lucido said the evidence recovered directly tied Sandles to the killings and the robbery.
Court Proceedings and Criminal Charges
Sandles is now being held without bond at the Macomb County Jail. He was arraigned in 41A District Court on Monday and faces a long list of charges, including:
- Two counts of first-degree murder
- Two counts of armed robbery
- Delivery and manufacture of controlled substances
- Felon in possession of a firearm
- Felon in possession of ammunition
- Carrying a concealed weapon
- Seven felony firearm charges
His next court appearance is scheduled for November 24.
Officials also noted that Sandles had been fleeing from Texas authorities on unrelated charges and had been living out of the Romulus hotel at the time of the shooting.
Statements and Community Reaction
During the press briefing, Chief Shelide emphasized the deliberate nature of the attack.
“Sandles went in to kill that man, the owner, and Mr. Baban happened to be there,” he said.
Residents expressed shock as details emerged, especially given the random and unprovoked nature of the crime. The dealership community is mourning the loss of both Batoo and Baban, described by neighbors as hardworking and respected members of the area.
Background Context: Growing Use of Technology in Crime Solving
Investigators highlighted the critical role of license plate readers, cellphone tracking, and surveillance footage in solving the case quickly. Police say such technologies are becoming essential tools in homicide investigations, enabling law enforcement to track suspects across cities within hours.
The case also raises questions about violent disputes in private sales settings, where arguments over used vehicles or repairs have escalated into violent confrontations in several states over the past year.
Next Steps in the Legal Process
Prosecutors are preparing to present evidence at Sandles’ next hearing, where a judge will determine whether the case proceeds to trial. With the severity of the charges and Sandles’ alleged actions, legal experts say he could face life in prison without parole if convicted.
Conclusion
The fatal shooting at Star Auto has left two families grieving and a community shaken as court proceedings move forward. With extensive evidence collected and multiple felony charges filed, authorities say they are committed to ensuring justice for the victims.
What are your thoughts on this case? Share your opinions in the comments below.
