Indiana Father Pleads Guilty After Leaving Baby to Die in Swing While Fleeing to ‘Avoid Drama’

Indiana Father Pleads Guilty After Leaving Baby to Die in Swing While Fleeing to 'Avoid Drama'

Muncie, IN – A 26-year-old Indiana father who abandoned his two young children at a motel, leading to the death of his 3-month-old daughter, has pleaded guilty to neglect of a dependent, according to court documents. Authorities say Jacob Vera left his infant, Isabella Vera, to die in her baby swing while he fled more than 250 miles away, telling investigators he wanted to “avoid any drama” with the children’s mother.

The Incident: Infant Found Dead in Motel Baby Swing

Police in Muncie, Indiana, responded to the Bestway Inn at 4000 N. Broadway on the night of March 25, 2023, after receiving a call about an unresponsive infant. According to the Muncie Police Department, officers arrived around 8:30 p.m. to find baby Isabella unresponsive in her swing.

Her mother told investigators she had left Isabella and her 16-month-old sibling in Vera’s care around 2 p.m. while she went to work. When she returned more than six hours later, she discovered the heartbreaking scene — the older child crying uncontrollably in a playpen and baby Isabella motionless in her swing.

The affidavit states the mother tried to wake the infant, who was “not moving as she normally would when picked up.” Realizing her baby was unresponsive, she ran to get help, but Vera had already disappeared — taking the family’s phone with him.

Medical responders confirmed that rigor mortis had set in, estimating that Isabella had been dead for at least two hours before officers arrived. The Delaware County coroner later determined her cause of death was asphyxiation.

Investigation and Vera’s Flight from the Scene

Detectives spoke to another motel resident who said Vera offered him $130 for a ride to Chicago shortly after leaving the children alone. When the man declined, Vera arranged for a friend to drive him to Peoria, Illinois, roughly 250 miles from Muncie.

Police tracked him down days later and questioned him about why he fled instead of seeking help for his daughter.

“If I’m guilty of anything, it’s the leaving,” Vera allegedly told officers.
He reportedly added that he left because he wanted to “avoid any drama” with the children’s mother.

Authorities arrested Vera shortly afterward and charged him with neglect of a dependent causing death, a Level 1 felony — one of the most serious charges under Indiana law. The charge was later reduced to a Level 3 felony as part of a plea deal.

Court Proceedings and Plea Agreement

According to court records, Vera pleaded guilty to neglect of a dependent under a plea agreement that caps his sentence at nine years in prison. Prosecutors said the plea was accepted to ensure accountability and avoid putting the victim’s family through a lengthy trial.

Vera’s sentencing is scheduled for December 1, 2025, where a Delaware County judge will determine how much of his sentence will be served behind bars versus through probation or community supervision.

Statements and Community Reaction

The case has drawn widespread attention for its disturbing details and Vera’s apparent lack of remorse. Many in the Muncie community have expressed outrage that a parent could abandon his children so recklessly.

“She was a beautiful little girl with an infectious smile and beautiful eyes,” read Isabella’s obituary, describing the infant as “an incredibly happy baby with a heart-warming personality all her own.”

The obituary continued, “She was safe and loving in her mother’s arms, always with her pacifier and a stuffed animal not far away.”

Community members have also criticized Vera’s statement to police, calling it “cold and heartless” given the circumstances of his daughter’s death.

Background and Legal Context

Under Indiana law, a Level 3 felony for neglect of a dependent can result in 3 to 16 years in prison, with an advisory sentence of 9 years. Prosecutors originally charged Vera with neglect causing death (Level 1 felony), which carries a possible sentence of up to 40 years, but accepted a plea reduction due to evidentiary factors and Vera’s admission of guilt.

Legal experts note that such plea agreements often occur in child neglect cases where intent to kill is not established, but gross negligence directly results in death.

Ongoing Developments and Sentencing

Vera remains in Delaware County Jail awaiting his December sentencing. Meanwhile, Isabella’s mother continues to grieve privately and has received community support through local fundraising efforts.

Officials have emphasized the case as a stark reminder of the dangers of leaving young children unattended, even for short periods, and the devastating consequences of parental neglect.

Conclusion

The tragic death of baby Isabella Vera has left a deep impact on the Muncie community and renewed discussions about child safety and accountability. As Jacob Vera faces up to nine years in prison, many hope the sentencing will serve as justice for the little girl whose life was cut short through abandonment and neglect.

What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking case? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *