Oregon, IL – A tragic case that rattled northern Illinois has come to a close after 38-year-old Sarah Safranek pleaded guilty to murdering her 7-year-old son, Nathaniel Burton, following years of documented warnings, disturbing allegations, and repeated cries for help from the child himself.
Nathaniel told relatives on multiple occasions that he feared his mother was going to kill him, describing suffocation attempts both while he slept and while he played. His haunting words — “Mama is going to kill me” — were later echoed in court documents detailing a shocking pattern of abuse.
Frightening Warnings Before the Child’s Death
Family members reported that Nathaniel had repeatedly expressed fear for his life. In conversations with his paternal grandmother, the young boy described moments when he could not breathe, allegedly because his mother was holding pillows and couch cushions over his face.
“I can’t breathe grandma, she won’t let me breathe,”
Nathaniel told his grandmother, according to prosecutors.
Further statements revealed that Safranek had targeted her son “several times,” leaving him terrified of being left alone with her. These warnings surfaced two months before his death, yet the violence escalated.
Years of DCFS Visits With No Action Taken
According to Shaw Local News, the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services visited the home nearly a dozen times in a two-year span. Each time, the case was closed with “no findings of parental wrongdoing.”
This lack of intervention is now raising troubling questions about missed opportunities to protect the child.
Allegations From Both Grandmothers and Foster Parents
Court documents show that warnings came from multiple sources:
- Nathaniel’s maternal grandmother also reported repeated allegations that Safranek tried to suffocate and even drown her own son.
- His sister described witnessing Safranek choking him and hitting him with a belt.
- His foster parents, who cared for him at age 5, said Nathaniel disclosed further attempts by his mother to smother him during playtime.
These accounts painted a consistent pattern of escalating violence long before 2021.
The Day of the Crime and the Chilling Evidence Found
On February 17, 2021, Safranek suffocated Nathaniel at their home on S. 10th Street in Ogle County. He was hospitalized and died the following day.
The investigation uncovered deeply disturbing evidence. Prosecutors reported that Safranek kept journal entries indicating she harmed her children and conducted horrifying internet searches, including:
- “What is it called when a parent is obsessed with the thought of killing their child?”
- “How much does cremation of a child cost?”
- “How long does an investigation take after a child passes away?”
- Searches related to deadly poisons, quick ways to kill, and notorious cases like Scott and Laci Peterson.
These searches spanned months and culminated on the very day Nathaniel died.
Court Proceedings and Final Sentencing
Safranek initially pleaded guilty in March 2024, later withdrawing her plea. A trial scheduled for August 2024 was removed from the calendar after prosecutors appealed several judicial rulings. The judge overseeing the case retired before resolution.
Last week, Safranek entered a new guilty plea to first-degree murder and received a 35-year prison sentence, which she must fully serve before becoming eligible for supervised release.
Authorities confirmed that her sentence reflects the severity of the crime and the documented pattern of abuse leading up to Nathaniel’s death.
Community Reaction and Ongoing Concerns
This case has sparked discussions about systemic failures in child protection and the tragic consequences when warnings go unheeded. Many are questioning how repeated DCFS visits resulted in no preventive action, despite consistent allegations from multiple caregivers.
Advocates for child safety stress the importance of recognising behavioural and verbal cues from children, especially when expressed repeatedly over time.
Share your experiences in the comments below.
