Florida Man Arrested After Allegedly Threatening to Kill Mother and 9-Year-Old Son with Knife Outside Miami Hotel

Florida Man Arrested After Allegedly Threatening to Kill Mother and 9-Year-Old Son with Knife Outside Miami Hotel

Miami, FL – A terrifying encounter outside a Florida hotel left a mother and her 9-year-old son fearing for their lives after a man allegedly approached them with a knife, threatening to “cut [their] throats,” according to police. Authorities say the suspect, identified as 38-year-old Jorge Felix Larrea Diaz, has been arrested and charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon following the incident at the Barlington Hotel in Miami.

A Frightening Encounter Outside the Hotel

The ordeal unfolded around 4:20 p.m. on Friday, when Larrea Diaz, reportedly a guest at the same hotel, approached the woman and her child outside the building while holding what witnesses described as a “long brown knife.” According to the arrest affidavit, he demanded to know the location of the woman’s husband and began issuing violent threats in Spanish.

“Where is your husband?” he allegedly asked before shouting that he was going to kill both the woman and her son. The terrified boy ran inside the hotel lobby, shouting, “Somebody is trying to kill us!” as his mother followed close behind.

Confrontation and Escape

Inside the lobby, the husband—who had been there during the confrontation—saw Larrea Diaz holding a knife in his right hand. Police said the suspect began shouting that he would kill the husband as well. In an act of self-defense, the husband grabbed a small bicycle and used it as a barrier to protect himself and his family.

The confrontation prompted Larrea Diaz to flee the scene, though surveillance footage later confirmed that he had been holding an object resembling a knife during the altercation. Although the weapon was never recovered, police said the video evidence and victim statements were enough to confirm the nature of the threat.

Police Response and Arrest

Authorities were called immediately, and the victims were able to identify Larrea Diaz when officers arrived. He had reportedly changed his clothing by the time police located him near the hotel, but was taken into custody without further incident.

Larrea Diaz has since been charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, though no injuries were reported. Police have not determined why the suspect was looking for the husband or what motivated the confrontation.

Investigation and Community Reaction

The Barlington Hotel, where the incident occurred, has not issued an official statement regarding the event. The case has raised concerns among residents and visitors about hotel safety and the need for better security measures in busy tourist areas like Miami’s downtown district.

Police continue to investigate whether Larrea Diaz knew the family personally or if the confrontation was random. The lack of a recovered weapon has not changed the nature of the charges, as officers cited clear evidence of a verbal threat paired with aggressive physical behavior.

Safety Concerns and Awareness

Law enforcement officials are reminding the public to remain aware of their surroundings and to report any suspicious individuals immediately. “When someone makes a threat involving a weapon, it’s treated with the highest level of urgency,” a police spokesperson said. “Quick reporting can prevent a tragedy.”

As of now, Larrea Diaz remains in custody pending further court proceedings. The victims, while shaken, are said to be safe and cooperating with the ongoing investigation.

What do you think about this terrifying incident in Miami? Share your thoughts and reactions in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *