Chula Vista, CA – A Halloween house party with over 100 attendees turned deadly after an 18-year-old man allegedly opened fire, killing two teenagers who tried to break up a fight. Prosecutors say David Garcia, 18, was showing off a gun before the fatal shooting that left 15-year-old Kane Roldan and 17-year-old Elias Yanez dead.
The Incident: Chaos at a Halloween House Party
According to the Chula Vista Police Department, officers were called to a home on October 31 at around 11:17 p.m. following reports of a shooting during a large Halloween gathering. When officers arrived, they found Roldan and Yanez suffering from gunshot wounds.
Emergency responders immediately performed life-saving measures before both victims were transported to a local hospital. Despite efforts to save them, both teens were pronounced dead shortly after arrival.
Investigators later identified the shooter as David Garcia, who had reportedly been displaying a firearm in his waistband throughout the night. Witnesses told police that the suspect had fired a gun into the air earlier in the evening, allegedly to intimidate another partygoer.
Investigation and Evidence: Witness Accounts Confirm Gun Display
During Garcia’s court appearance on Wednesday, prosecutors detailed a night that spiraled out of control. Deputy District Attorney Jason Yeh of San Diego County said that Garcia’s reckless behavior escalated when he got into an argument with another guest.
“Before the fatal altercation, the defendant fired his gun into the air during a separate incident to scare someone away,” Yeh told the court, according to Times of San Diego.
Later that night, Garcia allegedly began arguing with a friend of the victims. When Roldan and Yanez stepped in to defuse the situation, Garcia pulled out his weapon and shot both boys, Yeh said.
“These two boys were trying to stop a fight,” Yeh stated, “but Garcia tragically killed them instead.”
Detectives recovered ballistic evidence from the scene, and multiple witnesses corroborated the prosecutor’s version of events.
Court Proceedings and Criminal Charges
David Garcia has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder with special circumstances for using a firearm, as well as negligent discharge of a weapon and carrying a loaded firearm in public.
Garcia appeared before a San Diego County judge on Wednesday, where he pleaded not guilty to all charges. He is currently being held at the George Bailey Detention Facility without bond.
His next court date is scheduled for December 12, according to court documents. Prosecutors have not ruled out the possibility of additional enhancements to the charges due to the presence of minors among the victims.
Reactions and Community Response
The Chula Vista Police Department issued a statement expressing condolences to the victims’ families and condemning the rise in gun violence among young adults.
“This tragedy has devastated two families and shaken our community,” the department said. “We urge young people to think twice before bringing weapons into social gatherings. The consequences can be permanent and heartbreaking.”
Friends and classmates of Roldan and Yanez have since organized candlelight vigils, describing the boys as kind-hearted and protective. Both were remembered for their leadership and courage in stepping up to prevent further violence that night.
Community members have also renewed calls for stricter gun safety measures and education programs aimed at deterring firearm use among youth.
Background Context: Gun Violence at Teen Gatherings on the Rise
Law enforcement officials in California and across the U.S. have reported an increase in gun-related incidents at large youth gatherings, especially during holidays like Halloween. According to the Gun Violence Archive, more than 40 people under the age of 21 have been killed or injured at Halloween events nationwide in the past five years.
Experts attribute this trend to the easy accessibility of firearms and social media-fueled party culture, which often draws large crowds with little supervision. Officials warn that the combination of alcohol, crowded venues, and guns can lead to deadly outcomes like the Chula Vista shooting.
Ongoing Developments and Next Steps
Garcia’s legal team has not issued a public statement. The case remains under investigation as prosecutors prepare for pretrial motions in December. Detectives are also reviewing cell phone footage and social media posts from attendees that may provide additional evidence of Garcia’s actions before and during the shooting.
Authorities have urged anyone who attended the Halloween party to come forward with information that could assist the investigation.
Conclusion
The tragic deaths of Kane Roldan, 15, and Elias Yanez, 17, have left a deep scar on the Chula Vista community. As David Garcia faces trial for their murders, the case serves as a sobering reminder of how quickly a night of celebration can turn into tragedy when guns are involved.
What are your thoughts on this tragic case? Share your opinions in the comments below.
