California Couple Charged With Murder After 7-Month-Old Baby’s Death Allegedly From Abuse

California Couple Charged With Murder After 7-Month-Old Baby’s Death Allegedly From Abuse

Yucaipa, Calif. – Prosecutors say a 7-month-old baby likely died from abuse at the hands of his parents before they falsely reported him missing, launching a large-scale search in Southern California earlier this month.

Parents Charged With Murder

Authorities allege Jake Haro, 32, and Rebecca Haro, 41, are responsible for the death of their infant son, Emmanuel Haro. The couple was arrested last week and now face murder charges, according to the Riverside County District Attorney’s Office.

Both remain held on $1 million bail and are scheduled to be arraigned next week.

False Abduction Report Sparks Search

On Aug. 14, Rebecca Haro told deputies she was assaulted and knocked unconscious while changing her son’s diaper outside a store in Yucaipa. When she woke up, she claimed Emmanuel was gone.

Investigators later uncovered inconsistencies in her story and searched the couple’s Cabazon home, where they concluded the child was dead.

“The filing in this case reflects our belief that baby Emmanuel was abused, a victim of child abuse over time, and that eventually, because of that abuse, he succumbed to those injuries,” said District Attorney Mike Hestrin.

Search for Baby’s Remains

Over the weekend, deputies searched for Emmanuel’s body near a freeway field, accompanied by Jake Haro, who officials say provided some cooperation. The infant’s remains were not found, and investigators have not disclosed additional details about the search.

Father’s Prior Abuse Case

DA Hestrin also revealed that Jake Haro had a prior child abuse conviction in 2023 involving another child. In 2018, that child suffered rib and skull fractures, a brain hemorrhage, and permanent damage.

Prosecutors pushed for a prison sentence, but a judge allowed Haro to serve 180 days of work release and probation instead.

“It was an outrageous error in judgment by this judge,” Hestrin said, criticizing the court’s decision.

Ongoing Investigation

Authorities continue searching for Emmanuel’s remains and building the case against the Haros. Prosecutors emphasized that the evidence points to a pattern of long-term abuse that ultimately led to the baby’s death.

Conclusion

The tragic case has left the Southern California community reeling, as officials accuse Jake and Rebecca Haro of fatally abusing their infant son while misleading authorities with a false abduction story. With the parents set for arraignment next week, the search for Emmanuel’s remains continues.

What are your thoughts on the judge’s earlier decision that allowed Jake Haro to avoid prison time in his 2018 child abuse case? Share your views in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *