Arizona Celebrity Chef Found Guilty of Killing Estranged Wife and Two Children on Christmas Day

Arizona Celebrity Chef Found Guilty of Killing Estranged Wife and Two Children on Christmas Day

Phoenix, AZ – A former celebrity chef from Arizona has been convicted of murdering his estranged wife and two young children on Christmas Day 2017, just hours after posting a holiday video singing carols with his son. The brutal killings stunned the Phoenix community and ended nearly eight years of legal proceedings.

The Incident: Christmas Day Turns Tragic

According to prosecutors, Anthony Milan Ross, 53, fatally shot his estranged wife, Iris Ross, and their children — 11-year-old Nigel and 9-month-old Anora — on December 25, 2017, at his Phoenix apartment complex.

Earlier that day, Ross posted a cheerful social media video featuring himself and his son singing “Santa Claus Is Coming to Town” and wishing friends a Merry Christmas. Hours later, that joy turned to horror when witnesses saw Ross shoot his wife multiple times outside his apartment.

“She was there to pick up her children,” prosecutors said, noting that Iris had filed for divorce six months earlier, which may have triggered the deadly confrontation.

After killing his wife, Ross ran back inside the apartment, where he barricaded himself with his two children as police surrounded the building.

Investigation and Police Response

Police officers quickly responded to the scene following reports of gunfire. When they arrived, they found Iris Ross dead outside the apartment complex. Officers attempted to negotiate with Ross for several hours, but he refused to surrender, according to investigators.

During the standoff, police eventually breached the apartment, only to find one of the children already dead from gunshot wounds. Moments later, Ross opened fire on officers, injuring one before he was subdued and arrested.

Inside, officers discovered the second child also fatally shot. The tragedy left law enforcement and the local community shaken.

“It was one of the most heartbreaking scenes we’ve ever encountered,” said a Phoenix Police spokesperson. “Three innocent lives were taken on a day meant for family and peace.”

Court Proceedings and Conviction

Following his arrest, Anthony Milan Ross was charged with three counts of first-degree murder, three counts of aggravated assault, and 17 counts of aggravated assault on a peace officer.

His trial, which began in September 2025, detailed a history of marital conflict and emotional instability leading up to the murders. Prosecutors argued that Ross’s actions were premeditated and deliberate, citing his decision to lure his family to the apartment before opening fire.

The jury deliberated for several hours before returning a guilty verdict on all counts Monday. Ross now faces life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. His sentencing is scheduled for January 9, 2026.

“Justice has finally been served for Iris, Nigel, and baby Anora,” said the Maricopa County Attorney’s Office in a statement following the verdict.

Background: From Celebrity Chef to Convicted Murderer

Before the killings, Anthony Milan Ross was known locally as a celebrity chef, motivational speaker, and vegan author, having gained recognition for his dramatic weight-loss transformation and healthy-living cookbooks.

He frequently appeared at public events promoting plant-based diets and was featured in lifestyle publications. However, behind his public persona, court records revealed a volatile marriage and domestic disputes.

Family members told investigators that Iris Ross had feared for her safety after filing for divorce. She had sought custody of the couple’s children, and her loved ones said she wanted to create a new life for them away from Ross’s control.

Community Reaction and Aftermath

The conviction has brought some relief to friends, neighbors, and supporters of the victims who have waited nearly eight years for justice.

Residents who remembered the 2017 Christmas tragedy said it remains one of the most haunting crimes in recent Phoenix history.

“It’s something none of us will ever forget,” said one neighbor who witnessed the police standoff that day. “It broke the heart of this entire community.”

Law enforcement agencies have used the case to highlight the importance of early intervention in domestic violence situations, emphasizing that warning signs often go unnoticed until it’s too late.

Ongoing Developments

Ross remains in custody at the Maricopa County Jail pending his January 2026 sentencing. Prosecutors have stated they will pursue life without parole, citing the brutal and calculated nature of the murders.

Authorities also confirmed that the officer injured during the 2017 shooting has since recovered and continues to serve on the force.

Conclusion

The conviction of Anthony Milan Ross marks the end of a long legal battle but leaves behind a legacy of profound grief for the victims’ family and community. Once a celebrated figure in Arizona’s food scene, Ross will now spend the rest of his life in prison for destroying his own family on what should have been a day of love and joy.

What are your thoughts on this heartbreaking case? Share your opinions in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *