Stamford, Connecticut – A tragic child-death case that stunned the community nearly three years ago has reached a turning point, as both parents of a 2-year-old boy found buried in a shallow grave have officially pleaded guilty. The parents will now serve lengthy prison terms for their roles in concealing the death and mistreating the child, even though neither admitted to causing the fatal injuries.
Guilty Pleas Entered Nearly Three Years After the Discovery
The case centers on 2-year-old Liam Rivera, whose body was found wrapped in plastic bags and buried at Cummings Park on January 2, 2023. His parents, Iris Rivera-Santos and Edgar Ismalej-Gomez, appeared in Fairfield County Superior Court this week and formally pleaded guilty to the full list of charges filed against them.
Court records confirm that the charges included intentional cruelty to a child, risk of injury, tampering with evidence, moving a dead body without a permit, and conspiracy. Both parents agreed to plea deals setting their sentences at 16 years in state prison.
Autopsy Found Blunt Force Trauma as Cause of Death
Although the pair accepted responsibility for the crimes listed in the plea agreement, neither admitted to killing Liam. The state medical examiner determined that the toddler died from multiple blunt force injuries to the head, raising deeply troubling questions that the guilty pleas do not fully resolve.
Defense attorney Dominick Angotta, representing Ismalej-Gomez, said his client continues to insist he played no role in the fatal injuries.
“Edgar adamantly maintains that he had nothing to do with the child’s death,” Angotta told News 12. “He made some horrible choices and for that, he has today accepted full responsibility.”
Rivera-Santos and her attorney declined to comment after the hearing.
How Police Found the Shallow Grave at Cummings Park
The investigation began when police received a call reporting that Liam had been kidnapped. However, investigators quickly uncovered information pointing to Cummings Park, a popular waterfront area located about 40 miles from Manhattan.
When officers arrived, they discovered a section of disturbed soil. As they dug, they uncovered a plastic bag containing the 2-year-old’s body. Stamford Police Chief Timothy Shaw previously described the scene and the rapid developments that followed.
Mother Claimed She Was Held Hostage — Text Messages Disproved the Story
During early questioning, Rivera-Santos told police she had been held at gunpoint by Ismalej-Gomez after discovering her son dead in their home. She claimed he forced her to travel with him to and from West Virginia before she managed to escape and contact her attorney.
Investigators later said the claim was fabricated. Deleted text messages recovered from her phone contradicted the kidnapping story and revealed details pointing to the couple’s involvement in concealing the child’s death.
Ismalej-Gomez was arrested within 24 hours of the discovery, while Rivera-Santos was taken into custody roughly a month later.
What Happens Next in the Case
Both parents are scheduled to appear again in court for formal sentencing on February 10, 2026. The pleas accepted this week ensure they will each serve 16 years behind bars, but the courtroom may reveal additional details as sentencing approaches.
Community Impact and Ongoing Questions
The death of Liam Rivera continues to haunt Stamford residents and child-advocacy groups. Cases involving severe injuries to young children often highlight concerns about warning signs, available family-support resources, and the difficulty of detecting abuse occurring behind closed doors.
Child-safety organizations note that cases like this underscore the importance of reporting suspected neglect or abuse, even when details remain unclear. While the guilty pleas bring legal closure, many unanswered questions about Liam’s final hours remain, leaving the community devastated by the tragedy.
If you have insights or experiences related to child safety or community awareness, share your thoughts in the comments below.
