Indiana Man Sentenced After Threatening to ‘Kill Many Illegals’ in Violent TikTok Posts

Indiana Man Sentenced After Threatening to ‘Kill Many Illegals’ in Violent TikTok Posts

Indianapolis, Indiana – An Indiana man, who repeatedly used TikTok to threaten mass violence against immigrants, has now been sentenced to prison. According to court records, 59-year-old Preston Pickett admitted to posting a series of violent messages promising to “kill many illegals” on the day he believed former President Donald Trump would return to office. Authorities say he had been making similar threats for months before his arrest.

Online Threats Spark Federal Investigation

According to the Marion County Prosecutor’s Office, the case began on January 12, when the FBI alerted the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department about threatening TikTok posts made by a user in their jurisdiction.

Pickett’s posts clearly referenced Trump’s anticipated return to office, and authorities determined the threats were both targeted and credible.

One of Pickett’s TikTok posts read:

I will shoot on sight I don’t check IDs so you all are illegal too me.

In another message, highlighted in court documents obtained by local outlets, he warned:

I will kill many illegals on January 20.

Pickett continued escalating his language. Authorities say additional posts stated:

I will have my kills on the first day Trump takes office.
I will be famous for killing the most illegals in one day.

These messages, combined with his online behavior and history of previous threats, pushed federal and local agencies to respond urgently.

How Investigators Identified the Suspect

Law enforcement traced the TikTok account’s IP address and email back to Pickett. Officers then arrived at a home in Southport, where Pickett lived.

As authorities approached, Pickett allegedly ran outside, yelling that police were “complicit with the illegals in this country.” Officers attempted to calm him and explain the purpose of their visit.

A detective told Pickett they were there because of the threats he had issued. Pickett reportedly responded by asking whether he “had the right to exercise his Second Amendment against foreign and domestic terrorists.” Officers told him he did not.

Weapons Seized and Destroyed

During their investigation, officers confiscated:

  • Pickett’s cellphone
  • Two firearms

As part of Pickett’s plea agreement, the weapons were ordered to be destroyed, preventing any future misuse.

Defendant Had a History of Violent Threats

Local prosecutors noted that this was not Pickett’s first time making threats. In:

  • March 2024 – He reportedly threatened to shoot up a Florida car wash.
  • November 2023 – The Marion County Prosecutor’s Office received an anonymous threat from a phone registered to Pickett, warning that he would use a rifle to shoot employees walking to their vehicles.

These earlier incidents, combined with the violent TikTok posts, created a pattern that prosecutors argued demonstrated a clear public safety risk.

Court Outcome and Sentencing

Pickett pleaded guilty to threatening to commit terrorism, a serious charge under Indiana law.

He received a two-year prison sentence. However, after credit for time already spent in custody, he will serve less than one year behind bars.

Officials said the destruction of his weapons, the guilty plea, and monitored release after incarceration were necessary steps to ensure community safety.

Concerns About Violent Online Extremism

Cases like Pickett’s highlight the increasing concern over online radicalization, where individuals use social media platforms to promote violence. TikTok, like many other platforms, has struggled to monitor every threat, especially when users mask their identities or use coded language.

These incidents also raise questions about how quickly dangerous posts are detected before they can lead to real-world harm. Experts say threats tied to political events—such as inaugurations—often spike and require intensive monitoring.

Public Safety and Awareness

Authorities encourage the public to report any threats that reference violence, political extremism, or targeted attacks on groups or individuals. Safety officials emphasize that even seemingly exaggerated online comments should be taken seriously.

If someone encounters threatening or extremist content online, they should immediately contact local law enforcement or report it directly through the platform where it appears.

Conclusion

The sentencing of Preston Pickett, 59, serves as a reminder that violent threats—especially those tied to political rhetoric or targeted at vulnerable groups—will be aggressively prosecuted. Law enforcement officials say the swift action taken in this case prevented potential harm and underscored the importance of reporting dangerous online behavior.

Share your experiences in the comments below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *