Port Huron Township, MI – A 33-year-old Michigan mother has admitted to killing her 3-year-old son, who investigators say suffered years of systematic abuse before being fatally beaten in 2018. Authorities allege that the child’s death was part of a plan by the mother and her boyfriend to “make room” for another baby they wanted together.
The Incident: A Child’s Death Hidden by Years of Abuse
According to the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office, Amanda Mae Maison pleaded guilty on Wednesday to second-degree murder in connection with the killing of her 3-year-old son, Matthew Maison, who was found dead in his bed on February 18, 2018.
Investigators determined that Matthew had been systematically abused for years by Maison and her then-boyfriend, Maurice Houle, before he was fatally injured inside their Port Huron Township home.
Court records indicate that the abuse included “military time-outs,” in which the child was forced to kneel in front of a wall with his hands on his head, often resulting in his head being slammed against the drywall.
“Matthew is finally beginning to get the justice he deserves,” said Sheriff Mat King in a statement. “The dedication to this case is unmatched. Although this is not the end, I am confident justice will be served.”
Investigation and Evidence: A Pattern of Concealment and Neglect
In court, Maison admitted that she had a two-year relationship with Houle, during which both participated in concealing Matthew’s injuries from Child Protective Services (CPS) and law enforcement.
The sheriff’s office said Maison “willingly participated” in hiding signs of abuse from 2016 through 2018. She also confessed to pushing Matthew’s head into a wall during a so-called “disciplinary timeout,” an act that contributed to the fatal pattern of violence.
Authorities revealed that Matthew’s grandfather had previously contacted CPS after Maison told him she saw Houle physically assault the boy for spilling food. However, when investigators arrived, Maison retracted her statement and cut off contact with her father — preventing intervention that might have saved her son’s life.
Detectives later learned that both Maison and Houle attempted to smother the child with a pillow, and at one point, Maison claimed Houle killed her son but had asked her to “take the fall” for him to keep him out of prison.
Court Proceedings: Guilty Plea and Upcoming Sentencing
During Wednesday’s plea hearing, Maison admitted her role in the abuse and murder, accepting a plea deal that requires her to testify truthfully against Maurice Houle, who faces a first-degree murder charge in an upcoming trial.
The second-degree murder charge carries a maximum sentence of life in prison, and Maison’s bond has been revoked pending formal sentencing.
The St. Clair County Prosecutor’s Office said Maison’s testimony will be crucial in holding Houle accountable for his alleged role in Matthew’s death.
“Amanda Maison stated that Maurice Houle physically abused Matthew during their relationship, and that she willingly participated in concealing those injuries,” the sheriff’s office confirmed in a press release.
Statements and Reactions: “Justice for Matthew”
Law enforcement officials described Matthew’s case as one of prolonged cruelty and deception. For seven years, the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office has worked to bring both defendants to justice, re-examining evidence and interviewing witnesses to support prosecution.
“Over the last seven years, the St. Clair County Sheriff’s Office has been unwavering in its commitment to bring justice for Matthew,” the department said. “Many detectives have had a part in keeping this case moving forward.”
Investigators also testified that both Maison and Houle discussed wanting another child together and allegedly saw Matthew as an obstacle to their plans. During a hearing in April 2025, prosecutors said the couple “had a plan to kill Matthew to make room for a child they could have together.”
Court documents revealed that Maison became pregnant with a third child during their relationship but later had an abortion, further fueling the couple’s alleged motive.
Background Context: Years of Missed Warnings
Detectives testified that during the original 2018 investigation, visible bruises and a black eye were found on Matthew’s body. Despite repeated red flags reported to CPS, the system failed to intervene effectively.
Houle initially told investigators that Maison was responsible for disciplining the children, but later admitted to taking part in physical punishment that included forcing Matthew into “military time-outs.”
The judge presiding over the case, District Court Judge John Monaghan, allowed prosecutors to introduce evidence of the couple’s intent to remove Matthew to make room for another child, stating that “the probative value of the evidence outweighs any potential prejudice.”
Ongoing Developments and Next Steps
With her plea now entered, Amanda Maison remains in custody at the St. Clair County Jail while awaiting sentencing. Her truthful testimony against Maurice Houle will play a key role in determining his fate.
Houle’s trial for first-degree murder is expected to begin later this year. If convicted, he could face life in prison without parole.
Officials say Matthew’s case serves as a painful reminder of how domestic violence, child abuse, and systemic neglect can culminate in tragedy when early warnings are ignored.
Conclusion
The death of 3-year-old Matthew Maison marks one of the most disturbing child abuse cases in Michigan’s recent history. With his mother’s guilty plea, prosecutors say the case has taken a major step toward accountability — but true justice, they note, will only be achieved when every responsible party faces the consequences of their actions.
What are your thoughts on this tragic case? Share your opinions in the comments below.
