Cocoa, FL – A Florida man has been arrested in connection with a deadly shooting outside a Cocoa seafood restaurant that left a 15-year-old girl dead and two others injured. Authorities say the attack, described as an “ambush,” occurred on October 6 at the Anchors Seafood and Chicken restaurant on Clearlake Road.
Shooting Incident and Details
The shooting occurred around 4:30 p.m. when 15-year-old Karyah Duncan and two teenage boys were sitting inside a white Toyota Corolla parked outside the restaurant. According to the Brevard County Sheriff’s Office, Jonterich Smith, 20, entered the restaurant before fanning money in front of his face and then walking to a Dodge Durango. Minutes later, the Durango stopped behind the white sedan, and multiple suspects simultaneously exited the vehicle.
Smith and another man, both armed with rifles, approached the Corolla and fired at the vehicle. The driver of the Corolla exited and returned fire, but it was not enough to stop the attackers. As the gunfire continued, one of the assailants is said to have hid behind a vehicle door, seemingly in panic. The shooting was swift and brutal, leaving Duncan in the front passenger seat of the sedan fatally wounded.
Victim’s Death and Investigation
Authorities arrived at the scene to find three people injured, including Duncan, who was rushed to the hospital but was pronounced dead less than two hours later. An autopsy revealed that Duncan had been shot in the neck, chest, and arm, and her death was ruled a homicide. A window of the front passenger side of the sedan was shattered, and authorities recovered multiple shell casings from various calibers, including .223, .40, 7.62, and 9 mm, along with a 9 mm pistol believed to belong to one of the victims.
The shooting left two survivors who were later able to identify one of the assailants as “Dooda Black,” which was confirmed by Smith’s mother when officers arrived at her home. The Brevard County Sheriff’s Office has not disclosed whether the suspects and victims knew each other but said that the victims seemed to recognize the attackers. One of the surviving victims allegedly said during the 911 call, “Dooda…why did he do that?”
Search and Smith’s Arrest
Smith’s connection to the shooting grew clearer as deputies continued their investigation. When law enforcement arrived at his mother’s house, they observed a dark SUV in the backyard partially obscured by a tarp. Upon searching the vehicle, officers found bullet holes and a shattered window. Further investigation in Smith’s bedroom uncovered .223 ammo and other evidence linking him to the rental of the Dodge Durango used in the ambush. Smith had rented the vehicle using his mother’s Apple Pay account, which helped authorities tie him to the crime.
In the backyard, deputies also discovered the smell of a recent fire coming from a storage shed, where they found “burnt ashes and remnants of what appeared to be clothing.” Authorities later determined that Smith had burned evidence related to the crime.
Smith’s Arrest and Sheriff’s Condemnation
About a week after the shooting, Smith was arrested in Volusia County following a traffic stop. Brevard County Sheriff Wayne Ivey condemned Smith during a press conference at the Brevard County Jail, calling him an “animal” and a “monster.” Sheriff Ivey stated, “Today, instead of walking in an animal abuser, I’m walking in an animal—a monster that killed a 15-year-old girl.” He went on to describe the shooting as an “ambush,” emphasizing the brutality of the attack and how the suspects jumped out of the SUV and started shooting right into the car.
Ivey also issued a warning to Smith’s alleged accomplice, Xazavier Butler, who remains at large: “You’re next. Turn yourself in. Don’t be a coward. You were tough enough to do this. Turn yourself in.” Butler, also 20 years old, faces charges of first-degree premeditated murder and two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, though he was not in custody as of Monday.
Charges and Legal Proceedings
Smith is currently being held without bond at the Brevard County Jail. He had his initial court appearance on Tuesday and is scheduled to be arraigned on November 6. The charges against him include first-degree premeditated murder, two counts of aggravated battery with a firearm, and possession of a concealed firearm by a convicted felon.
The community remains in shock over the senseless violence that led to the death of a young girl. Sheriff Ivey’s condemnation of Smith reflects the outrage felt by many in Brevard County, as they await further developments in the investigation and the capture of Xazavier Butler.
Call to Action
What are your thoughts on this tragic event? Share your comments below.
