Providence Street Targeted in Major Meth Bust; DEA Arrests Two Men With Nearly Six Pounds of Methamphetamine

Providence Street Targeted in Major Meth Bust; DEA Arrests Two Men With Nearly Six Pounds of Methamphetamine

Providence, RI – A normally quiet neighborhood on Detroit Avenue was shaken Monday night when the DEA arrested two brothers after seizing nearly six pounds of methamphetamine hidden in a vehicle, authorities said.

Months-Long Investigation Leads to Arrest

Federal agents had been investigating Americo Ureña-Jimenez and Fausto Ureña-Jimenez for months, relying on a confidential source who previously purchased large quantities of meth in Providence. According to court documents, the source tipped investigators that the brothers were bringing approximately six pounds of crystal meth into the city on Aug. 25 in a silver Acura SUV.

Arrest and Drug Discovery

The suspects were apprehended just after 9:20 p.m. as they arrived at the Detroit Avenue residence. Fausto, driving the vehicle, attempted to flee but was blocked by DEA units. Both men were detained without incident.

A drug detection dog later alerted agents to narcotics hidden in the car’s engine compartment. Officers recovered 2,721 grams of methamphetamine, field-tested positive for meth, concealed in trash bags near the firewall.

Court documents also indicate that the brothers are under investigation for cocaine and fentanyl trafficking. Both men’s cell phones were seized to assist with the ongoing investigation.

Community Reaction

Neighbors on Detroit Avenue expressed concern but were unsurprised by the bust. Resident Yamusi Ortega, who has lived on the street for over a year, said:

“The only problem is the noise from the highway. It’s really disappointing those two men drove up here from New York to try to sell drugs in the area. It’s sad to see somebody come from another state to do something like that.”

Another resident, Larry Keene, who has lived there for 30 years, added:

“I think it’s great they caught ’em. That’s deadly stuff. It doesn’t make me happy, but I’m used to it.”

Federal Charges and Penalties

Both men are now in federal custody. If convicted, they face a minimum of 10 years in prison and fines up to $10 million each. Prosecutors continue to investigate potential connections to wider drug distribution networks in the region.

Have information about drug activity in Providence or surrounding areas? Contact the DEA tip line or local authorities to help keep the community safe.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *